Monday, April 11, 2005

How Sleazy is David Horowitz?

Just in case you were wondering how sleazy and disgusting a lot of perfectly mainstrem right-wing pundits are, have a look at this essay by Professor Michael Berube of Penn State University. He was participating in what he thought was an online debate with David Horowitz, hosted at Horowitz's website. Here's Berube:


I took part in an email exchange with one of David’s personal assistants, Jamie Glazov, over the past couple of weeks, with the understanding that it would be published in FrontPage. Like my earlier exchange with FrontPage in 2003, this one was long and full of back-and-forths, and my part of it certainly went well over 860 words.

But when I went to the FrontPage site to check out the “debate,” I found that almost all my replies to David had been cut from the “conversation,” and that Glazov and Horowitz, after chopping all the stuff I’d written, slapped me upside the head for not replying to them:


FP: Prof. Berube, it was clear to you that, in this second round, you just had your final turn. We had ascertained that this would be your final opportunity to discuss each of the points that Mr. Horowitz would raise, and that Mr. Horowitz would then have a final reply. And yet, this is all you have to contibute [sic] to what was supposed to be an intellectual dialogue.

Mr. Horowitz, what is your take here on Prof. Berube’s contribution to our second and last round?

DH: This answer from Michael Berube is disappointing but not surprising. As I have already observed, the left has become so intellectually lazy from years of talking to itself (and “at” everyone else) that it has lost the ability to conduct an intellectual argument with its opponents.


Well, holy infant Jesus with a rattlesnake, folks – what a shabby little stunt. First they refuse to publish my responses, and then they chastise me for not responding to them? What is going on over there at FrontPage – are they smoking crack, or are they just giving up altogether? Did they think maybe I wouldn’t notice that fifteen paragraphs of mine had somehow disappeared from the text of the “debate”? And did they forget that I have my own website, where I can call them out on this stuff for the benefit of the savviest readers on the Internet? Or maybe they were hoping I wouldn’t keep my own copy of the exchange? I did, of course, and I’ll reproduce it below – so you all can see just how bad things have gotten with D. Ho & Co.


Berube gives a nice summary later on:


But whatever the reason, we now know this: Horowitz isn’t just a far-right ideologue. He’s also a sorry old fraud.


Indeed he is. But the fact remains you can find him on television chatting with Dennis Miller or Sean Hannity any day of the week. It's important to realize that for pundits of the Coulter/Horowitz/Hannity mode, facts, truth and logic are totally irrelevant. All that matters is that they be seen to be supremely confident and never at a loss for words.

6 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger chris said...

I enjoy the perspective of your blog. I would love to have your imput if you have time on my blog, where I am currently wrestling witht the evolution debate. Personally, I'm a fence sitter.

http://www.nihilfit.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger chris said...

Apparently, I am also wrestling with my English skills.

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous tc99mman said...

See frontpagemag.com for the explanation. Your foe may not be as underhanded as you think.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'd be nice for the author of the blog to post an update... that would be the honest thing to do...

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this blog when it talked about evolution... of coarse it is your perogitive to pick subjects... however I think I'll steer people clear... This post STILL has not an update after frontpagemag.com admitted to a fup. This kind of dishonesty gets noticed... If I can't trust the honesty of this blog how will any fence sitters that I send here... sorry... but your off my list.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger stopitplease said...

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out! Next time have the balls to identify yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home