Wednesday, February 16, 2005

God Bless Bill Maher, Part II

From Scarborough Country, last night:

SCARBOROUGH: So, anyway, let‘s talk about something that Gary Wills wrote. And I think Maureen Dowd echoed with sentiment.

After the election when we found out that 22 percent of Americans, based on some exit polls, said morality was their top issue, Gary Wills said that any country with evangelicals that voted for George Bush who believe in the virgin birth more than they believe in evolution can‘t be an enlightened nation.

And Gary Wills basically compared America to al Qaeda. That‘s a little harsh, isn‘t it?

MAHER: That is too harsh.

SCARBOROUGH: People of faith can step forward, get involved in the process, believe in Jesus, and still vote for George Bush without being an ignorant peasant, can‘t they?

MAHER: Well, I think comparing them to al Qaeda is too harsh, but that‘s because al Qaeda is a terrorist organization.

But do we have more in common—and I am not the first one to say this. I have read this many times. We have more in common with the people, some of the nations who we are aligned against, when you look at beliefs in such things as, do you go to heaven, is there a devil, we have more in common with Turkey and Iran and Syria than we do with European nations and Canada and nations that, yes, I would consider more enlightened than us.

Yes, we are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think that religion stops people from thinking. I think it justifies crazies. I think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder. If you look at it logically, it‘s something that was drilled into your head when you were a small child. It certainly was drilled into mine at that age. And you really can‘t be responsible when you are a kid for what adults put into your head.

But when you become an adult, you can then have it drilled out. And you should.

SCARBOROUGH: So, you are saying that the millions and millions of Americans who go to church every week or go to synagogue...


MAHER: Have a neurological disorder, yes.

Have a neurological disorder? That's a bit far even for me. I like the rest of it though.


At 10:06 PM, Blogger Don T. Know said...

Holy Crap is Maher refreshingly honest. Will there ever come a day when a politician has the balls to be so brutally frank? Hey, I can dream!

Anyway, a friend of mine told me that Maher's most brutal criticism of organized religion came about when he had George Carlin as a guest on his HBO show. I wonder if we can get a hold of that transcript?

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous John Buie said...

Ask and ye shall receive:

I can't say that I always agree with Maher, and sometimes he tries too hard to pick fights on his show. But he's nobody's shill.

And mostly I love that he is not *afraid* to pick fights. Especially on the religion thing... "neurological disorder!" Ha!

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you undrill a neurological disorder from someone?
Maybe he can vist an enlightened
nation like North Korea.
Enjoy the trip.

At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Don T. Know said...

I'm not sure if North Korea has the right methods to cure people. Maybe we should be looking to the Middle Ages to see how Christians persuaded people to see their point of view. Thumbscrew and Rack, anyone?

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm ith Bill on this one. Get me a drill.


Post a Comment

<< Home