Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Lighter Side

Just in case you can't figure out why no one watches CNN anymore, consider the following mindless exchange between Roger Simon and Karen Tumulty, of U.S. News and World Report and Time respectively:


ROGER SIMON, “U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT”: Didn't I also say George Bush was going to win yesterday? I mentioned it. I made a note to myself. I got the margin. I didn't know who was going to win, but it is a big victory, it is a huge victory. It is a victory not only for -- a number of things, one of which I write about a lot, which is likability. Given a chance, Americans usually pick the most likable candidate, and I think they did it again yesterday.

DOBBS: Do you agree with that, Karen?

KAREN TUMULTY, “TIME”: I think I do. Because if you look at the forces going into this election, the president was running with a 49 percent approval rating, 55 percent of the country was saying that it was going in the wrong direction, you go down a list of issues, and the country was much closer on most of them to John Kerry's position than it was to George Bush's. So I do think that the president was reelected not so much for what he was promising, but for who he is. And also for who John Kerry was, at least what the voters perceived him to be.

DOBBS: The guys -- you know, I love you and respect you all so much, but I just got to ask this question. I mean no disrespect, I assure you, but if Senator Kerry had been elected, would he have been more likable?


At least Dobbs tried, gently, to point out just how asinine Simon and Tumulty were being. As you might have noticed, I don't have a whole lot of respect for the views of religious conservatives. But even I have to blanch a little when I hear their deeply-felt convictions and careful consideration of priorities dismissed as merely being a vote for the more likable candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home