Monday, March 15, 2004

Sense from the Kansas City Star The KC Star has published a fine rebuttal article to the op-ed I reported on in my March 9 posting. The full article is available here. It's author is Pat Ryan, a high school science teacher in Missouri. Here's a sample:


Let us call “intelligent design,” as espoused by William Harris and John Calvert (“As I See It,” 3/8), what it really is — a thinly disguised version of the Biblical story of creation.

The very term “intelligent design” is a ruse, intended to insulate the teaching of this doctrine from court challenges. Courts (including the U.S. Supreme Court) have decided that such teachings are religious dogma, and as such are in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Considering the religious nature of their agenda, I find this “intelligent design” tactic somewhat ironic. I am reminded of the book of Matthew, wherein Peter three times denies knowing Jesus. Calvert and Harris similarly deny their Creationist doctrine. They then resort to the tired contention that by failing to teach a theistic religion we are actually teaching a nontheistic religion. (The absence of religion is itself a religion? Does this mean that the absence of money in my wallet means I'm rich?)


I love that last line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home